Unless noted prior to the event, National Federation High School Rules will be used with the following notations. Triple Crown reserves the right to enforce particular invitational tournament rules. Franchisees may offer rule variations.
1. Age Requirement: May 1st will be the designated date to determine ages. Photocopies of birth certificates/grade reports will be required.
Age Cutoff information for events starting 2019: Players are eligible for a division of play provided that they are not older than that age division on April 30 of the current year. For 14U and older graduation year may be used.
**Additional verifiacaition will be needed for these players.
2. Rosters: May not exceed 20 players during the tournament.
3. Protest Fee: $100 cash (on rule interpretation only).
4. Game Time: Starting time is forfeit time, unless delay is created by Triple Crown. Game time starts at completion of coin toss.
5. Home Team: Determined by coin flip. Home team is required to keep the official book.
6. Player Minimum: A team must start with a minimum of 9 players but can finish with less, taking outs in the vacant batting order positions.
7. Championship Games: No time limit and no """"California Tie Breakers Run Rules"""" still in effect.
8. Pitching Rules (Innings per Tournament): the amount of innings a pitcher can pitch through 4 games. 9s = 6 10s = 6 11s = 6 12s = 6 13s = 7 14s = 7 15s = 8 16s = 8 18s = 8 *Scorecards must be signed by both team managers to eliminate inning validation problems. (Managers, please help with this process.) *One additional inning per pitcher for every game played after 4 games. At the start of the 5th played game = 1 additional inning, 6th=1 more inning, 7th=1 more inning, etc... *No limit on the number of appearances. *One pitch will be considered an inning pitched. *Eight warm-ups to start, five thereafter. *If pitching rules are violated and the infraction is detected, the situation will be reviewed and a minimum of the head coach and player ejection will be enforced. Additional consequences may include coach and/or player ejection from game/ tournament, elimination of team from the event and suspension for the following year.
9. Infield Warm-Ups: All teams are encouraged to warm-up as much as possible before game time. No pre-game infield.
10. Baseballs: Teams provide 2 new and 1 used (but in good condition) for each game. Give to plate umpire at pregame plate meeting.
11. No steel cleats in the following age groups: 10u and under
12. 13u and Younger: All bats must be stamped BPF 1.15 USSSA or USA Baseball. Must be a baseball bat – no restriction on weight or length as long as bat has “BPF 1.15” stamp. 14u and Older: -3 weight/length ratio only. All bats must be stamped BBCOR. Wood bats allowed. Bat rules apply to the age division you are playing in (not the age of the player or team). Penalties for illegal bats will be assessed as per the NFHS rule book.
13. Uniforms: Numbers mandatory, matching uniforms recommended.
14. Adverse Weather: The Triple Crown Baseball Tournament will be played in adverse weather conditions. The format may be changed to lesser time limits or fewer innings to complete the tournament. Coaches and players accept these conditions when entering the tournament.
15. Decisions: The Tournament Director shall have final decision on all tournament questions.
16. Hotels/Motels/Condos: Teams that leave unpaid bills or damages will be removed from the tournament and reported to their respective leagues.
17. Refund Policy: There will be a 20% administration fee charged for complete rain outs; 1 game played = 50% of entry fee; 2 or more games played = no refund.
18. Tie-Breaker System: For ALL games (other than Championship Game) if a game is tied after all innings have been completed (or at time limit), the "American" tie-breaker rule will go into effect. The last three hitters from the previous inning will load the bases. The base runners will be placed as follows: Last hitter from previous inning @ 1st Base / Hitter before him in the lineup @ 2nd Base/ Hitter before that in the lineup @ 3rd Base. The offensive team also starts the inning with one out. This happens until the tie is broken and the game is complete.
19. No Show: Teams that no-show will forfeit their entry fee and may be subject to suspension from competition in Triple Crown events for the following season.
20. Teams may bat any number of players and retain subs but must remain at the same total number of batters they started with throughout the game: Example 11 batters and 3 subs must finish with 11 batters. Batters not listed defensively will be extra hitters (EP or EH) and may rotate anywhere on the field like any other starter. If a team finishes the game with less players than they started, the team must take outs in the vacant positions (NO EXCEPTIONS).
21. Courtesy Runner: The NFHS rules apply for the pitcher and catcher. however there is optional (not mandatory) allowance for the catcher only- if a team doesnt meet the NFHS rule (eligible substitute), the batter out may run for the catcher.
****TRIPLE CROWN WILL PLAY THESE DIMENSIONS AND RUN RULES****
9's, 10's**46' pitching**65' bases**1 hr 45 min**6 innings** 15 runs after 3 innings, 10 runs after 4 innings or 8 runs after 5 innings. 9's, 10's Championship game no time limit, No Tie-Breaker and run rules are still in effect.
11's, 12's**50' pitching**70' bases**1 hr 45 min**6 innings** 15 runs after 3 innings, 10 runs after 4 innings or 8 runs after 5 innings. 11's, 12's Championship game no time limit, No Tie-Breaker and run rules are still in effect.
13's, 14's**60' pitching**90' bases**2 hrs**7 innings** 15 runs after 4 innings, 10 runs after 5 innings or 8 runs after 6 innings. 13's, 14's Championship game no time limit, No Tie-Breaker and run rules are still in effect.
*********all ages have a 20 run rule after 2 completed innings*********
8u division specific rules ONLY.
8 Year Old Coach Pitch Rules: 6 innings or 1:45 min. No new inning starts after time has expired unless the game is tied. *5 pitches per batter, no walks, bunting allowed. *Coaches don't have to pitch from one knee. *3 swings and misses will result in an out. *Not swinging at the 5th pitch in an at-bat will be consider an out. * 43 ft. pitching, 60 ft bases. *No lead offs, no stealing. Runner may advance to home only on a continuation of a ball put in batted in play. No "red light" for a ball put in play. The ball is dead when pitcher has the ball in the area of the mound. *Batter may not run to first on dropped third strike. *Entire lineup may bat. Last out may courtesy run catcher only. *Maximum of 7 runs per inning, per team. No max runs in 6th inning *Mercy Rules for the 8u division are: 15 runs after 4 innings, 8 runs after 5 innings
9u Modified Rules Bases will remain 65 feet. There will be a 10 foot mark placed off 1st, 2nd, and 3rd base. The runner can take a lead, but cannot cross the 10 foot mark until the ball crosses the plate, then the runner will be allowed to steal once the ball crosses the plate.
If runner gets a RUNNING START in an attempt to steal BEFORE the ball crosses the plate.
A. The runner will be placed back on the base B. If the runner is put out on the play. The runner will be out. C. If the ball is put in play, the runner will only be allowed a base if the forced up by the batter - runner. D. If it is a passed ball or wild pitch the runner does not have to return. E. If the pitcher attempts a pick-off. The runner can advance to the next base on the play.
Special Notes: The purpose of modified stealing is to help the young pitcher gain confidence in attempting to learn how to hold runners on base. To help the catcher gain confidence in being able to throw the runner out. The runner still has to go 55 feet to get to the next base. To help the base runner learn how to take a lead. Keeps the game from becoming a track meet while teaching young players the basics of stealing & pitching. Playing closed bases holds your players back. While playing modified stealing is a huge step in the right direction.